Camp Meetings – The Great Awakening
Off Route One in the Glendon area (1872-1908) represented by a Cross on the map
(old road way located on the east side of Route One just south of the town line with Waldoboro)
In 1872 the Methodist Camp Meeting revival came to Nobleboro and thrived for 40 years until 1908. It drew thousands of people of all ages each summer to the camp meeting grounds. The group behind the camp meeting organization, Rockland District Camp Meeting Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church, purchased 9 acres of land on the southerly side of the railroad. Rights of way to the area were leased to provide access and the taking and using of water from springs and brooks. For those who traveled by railroad, there was a station located on the edge of the camp meeting grounds.