Town Landing and Wharf and Former Shipbuilding Areas
Town Landing and Wharf
Located on land donated to the town by John Borland (shipbuilder) in Damariscotta Mills in 1802. The land was located east of the fish stream on Great Salt Bay. The town later granted a right of way for the tracks of the Knox & Lincoln Railroad to pass through this area. The stones that supported the wharf can be seen at low tide.
Former Shipbuilding Areas
During the 1800’s, many Maine coastal villages revolved around the construction of wooden sailing vessels. British ships along the Maine coast brought Maine ship building to a halt during the Revolutionary War. At the beginning of the 19th century, shipbuilding had recovered. Shipyards were places for people with little or no skills to be employed. Most work was done by ax, adz, saw, auger, and hand. You could even make a living by sealing cracks between planks. Shipbuilding was an important industry in Maine during the mid–19th century. By 1850, Maine had made more ships than any other state.
Sawmills and a rich supply of local lumber encouraged the launching of a shipbuilding industry in the Great Salt Bay and on both sides of the Damariscotta River. The Damariscotta Mills area of Nobleboro was one of the areas that saw many sailing ships built. Many of these yards were located on the edge of the Great Salt Bay. Many of the vessels built ranged from the one masted sloop to the three masted bark.
Many records of the vessels built were lost in the Damariscotta fire of 1845. The combined tonnage produced in Nobleboro, Newcastle and Damariscotta during the boom years of shipbuilding from 1815 to 1869 ranged from 5,273 to 19,887 (1860 to 1869).
* located in the Damariscotta Mills area in present day Nobleboro